RCPA - Rehabilitation and Community Providers Association


DPW Responds to SAP Question
January 8, 2001

PCPA received a response from the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) Office of Medical Assistance Programs regarding the licensing of Student Assistance Programs (SAP). It is clear from the response that providers must have their SAP either licensed or certified. A copy of the response is provided below. Please contact Lisa Lowrie at the Association with questions or concerns.


December 21, 2000

Ms. Lisa M. Lowrie
Children's Policy Specialist
Pennsylvania Community Providers Association
2400 Park Drive
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17110-9303

Dear Ms. Lowrie:

This letter is in response to your correspondence dated December 2, 1999. We apologize for the delay in our response.

In your letter you inquired as to whether the Office of Medical Assistance Programs requires Student Assistance Programs (SAP) to be licensed in order to bill medical assistance (MA) for compensable services provided to eligible MA recipients.

As originally developed, SAP services were a resource and referral service with the limited counseling service not billed to MA; therefore, the issue of licensure was not an issue and SAP service sites were enrolled in the MA Program. However, once SAP service sites began to bill MA for services, the issue of licensure, which is both a State MA and Federal requirement, must be addressed.

In order to enroll in MA, potential providers are required to be licensed/certified by the appropriate agency. This requirement must be adhered to by all potential MA providers, including SAP service sites. Please note: If the SAP is a satellite of an outpatient psychiatric clinic and not able to be licensed, the SAP must obtain a Certificate of Compliance (CC).

The OMAP and OMHSAS are working to identify currently enrolled SAP service sites in order to notify the site of the need to obtain licensure or CC. No new SAP service sites will be enrolled without licensure or CC; however, currently enrolled sites will be provided a time period in order to comply with this requirement.

I hope this information is helpful. If there are any questions, please feel free to contact my office.


Suzanne Love
Bureau of Policy, Budget and Planning

< Back