Today, the Office of Long-Term Living’s (OLTL) Bureau of Human Licensing (BHSL) sent the following notice to providers regarding the resumption of annual on-site inspections.
Per the attached Resumption of Annual Inspections During the COVID-19 Pandemic, The Office of Long-Term Living’s Bureau of Human Licensing (BHSL) has resumed annual renewal on-site inspections effective October 5, 2020.
In accordance with CDC guidance, and the Order of the Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health Directing Long-Term Care Facilities to Implement Measures for Use and Distribution of Personal Protective Equipment, BHSL Licensing Representatives will be reviewing the following practices during their on-site inspections and may cite a violation if warranted:
- Staff, including Direct Care Staff, must always wear a facemask while they are in the facility.
- PCH and ALR staff must also wear facemask outside where staff are unable to maintain the 6-foot social distance.
- Implement universal masking for everyone entering a facility (e.g., direct care staff, residents, visitors), regardless of symptoms.
- Residents may remove their cloth face covering/facemask when in their rooms but should put them back on when leaving their room or when others (e.g., staff, visitors) enter the room.
- The availability of respirator masks and ability to arrange fit-testing in the event that a resident tests positive within the facility.
- Screen residents and staff for fever and respiratory symptoms (using a checklist for employees such as the one developed by the American Health Care Association and the National Center for Assisted Living or as described by the CDC.
- Staff should be screened at the beginning of every shift. Test staff who screen positive.
- Residents should be screened at least daily and test any resident who exhibits fever or symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Actively screen everyone for fever and symptoms of COVID-19 before they enter the facility.
- The COVID-19 Data Collection Tool is utilized to report positive test results for staff and residents, and deaths related to COVID-19 for cases identified 8/28/20 or later.
COVID-19 Data Collection Tool User Guide
- The COVID-19 Tracker tool is submitted for all positive results received for staff or residents, and deaths related to COVID-19 prior to 8/28/20.
Facility COVID-19 Tracker
If you have any questions, please contact your regional office.