ODP issued Communication Number 099-18: Requesting an Enhanced Communication Rate for Services for Individuals Who Use Sign Language. This communication provides a process for providers to request an enhanced communication rate for Consolidated, Person/Family-Directed Support (P/FDS), and Community Living Waiver services for individuals who use Sign Language to communicate. The Harry M settlement agreement was approved by a federal court judge on August 20, 2013 to ensure Pennsylvanians are provided with necessary communication assistance services based on their assessed needs. The enhanced communication rate is available for services for individuals who are enrolled in the Consolidated, P/FDS, and Community Living waiver from providers who have signing staff to serve individuals who use Sign Language to communicate.
An enhanced communication rate is available for the following services:
- Companion Services
- In-Home and Community Supports
- Older Adult Daily Living Centers
- Community Participant Support (CPS)
- Small Group Employment
- Benefits Counseling
- Supported Employment to include: Career Assessment, Job Finding and Development, Job Coaching and Support
- Advanced Supported Employment to include: Discovery Profile Outcome, Job Acquisition Outcome, Job Retention Outcome
- Supports Broker Services
- Housing Transition and Tenancy Sustaining
- Residential Habilitation
- Shift Nursing RN
- Shift Nursing LPN
- Behavioral Supports
- Communication Specialist
- Therapies to include: Physical, Occupational, Speech/Language, Orientation, Mobility, and Vision
- Music Therapy
- Art Therapy
- Equine Assisted Therapy
- Consultative Nutritional Services
- Family Caregiver Support Counseling (with participant present)
- Supplemental Habilitation
- Supported Living
- Life Sharing
Providers who wish to request an enhanced communication rate must complete the Enhanced Communication Rate Request Form and submit the completed form to: ODP’s Deaf Services Mailbox. The Enhanced Communication Rate Request Form can be accessed at MyODP.
The following documentation must be provided in addition to the form:
- Certificates of completion for the Harry M web-based training
- Quiz on Harry M training (sent to the provider once the request for the enhanced rate is made)
- Video of signing skills (sent to the provider once the request for the enhanced rate is made)
Following receipt of a provider’s request, ODP will review the information submitted and determine whether the provider is eligible for the enhanced communication rate. The provider will be notified of ODP’s decision following the review. If additional information or discussion concerning the request is required, ODP will reach out to the contact persons identified on the Enhanced Communication Rate Request Form.
Questions about the contents of this communication may be directed to the ODP Deaf Services Mailbox. This communication obsoletes ODP Announcement 002-17, Requesting Enhanced Communication Residential Habilitation Rates for Harry M Class Members.