Hello and Happy New Year from StationMD!
We know there are a lot of questions and concerns relating to the COVID-19 vaccination campaign, especially as it relates to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and their circle of support. StationMD has prepared a brief informational webinar to discuss the latest data and resources on the vaccines, including how they work, the vaccination schedule and process, side effects, and medical concerns for individuals with IDD.
We are offering this FREE webinar on four different dates to answer questions and help attendees navigate the next few months.
- Thursday, January 7, 2021 from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) REGISTER HERE
- Wednesday, January 13, 2021 from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm EST REGISTER HERE
- Friday, January 15, 2021 from 10:00 am – 11:00 am EST REGISTER HERE
- Tuesday, January 19, 2021 from 10:00 am – 11:00 am EST REGISTER HERE
For further information, contact Carol Ferenz, Director of IDD Division.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) provides guidance in 2020-PAHAN-541 for responding to signs and symptoms following COVID-19 vaccination in health-care personnel (HCP). Strategies are needed for health-care facilities to appropriately evaluate and manage post-vaccination signs and symptoms among health-care personnel (HCP) in order to minimize staffing disruptions and the transmission of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
Key points in the advisory include:
- Signs and symptoms – such as fever, fatigue, headache, chills, myalgia, and arthralgia – can typically occur following COVID-19 vaccination. They usually occur within the first three days of vaccination.
- Presence of signs and symptoms consistent with SARS-CoV-2 infection that are not typical for post-vaccination signs and symptoms (i.e. cough, shortness of breath, rhinorrhea, sore throat, loss of taste or smell) should not be attributed to the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Positive viral (nucleic acid or antigen) tests for SARS-CoV-2, if performed, should not be attributed to the COVID-19 vaccine since vaccination does not influence the results of these tests.
A figure is provided to outline the steps health-care facilities should take in response to HCP who develop symptoms within the three days following vaccination for COVID-19. If you have questions about this guidance, please contact DOH at 1-877-PA-HEALTH (1- 877-724-3258) or your local health department.