Today, the Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs announced the following resources and funding opportunities. Please click on the title for further information.
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) awarded 19 grants totaling more than $14 million to provide scholarships at 1890 land-grant colleges and universities. The scholarships are intended to encourage outstanding students at 1890 institutions to pursue and complete baccalaureate degrees in the food and agricultural sciences and related fields. By developing a highly skilled workforce, the 1890 Scholarships Program helps facilitate rural prosperity and economic development aligning with USDA’s strategic goals. Award grant details can be found on NIFA’s website.
- HHS Launched a Telehealth Website to Expand Health Care Access: The Telehealth.HHS.gov website provides information about the latest federal efforts to support and promote telehealth services. It was built by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Please visit: hhs.gov
- SAMHSA Released $110 Million to Provide Americans with Substance Use Treatment and Mental Health Services During COVID-19 The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has expedited its process to release emergency grants to strengthen access to treatments for substance use disorders and serious mental illnesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- DOJ-BJA Second Chance Act Community-based Reentry Program: The Second Chance Act of 2007 (Pub. L. 110-199), reauthorized by the First Step Act of 2018, provides a comprehensive response to assist in the transition individuals make from prison, jail, or juvenile residential facilities to the community so that the transition is more successful and promotes public safety. Closing date: May 4, 2020
- HHS-SAMHSA Rural Opioid Technical Assistance Grants: SAMHSA, is accepting applications for fiscal year (FY) 2020 Rural Opioid Technical Assistance Grants (Short Title: ROTA). The purpose of this program is to develop and disseminate training and technical assistance for rural communities on addressing opioid issues affecting these communities. Closing date: May 8, 2020
- USDA-NIFA: The Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program Formerly known as the Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive Program (FINI): To support projects to increase the purchase of fruits and vegetables among low-income consumers participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) by providing incentives at the point of purchase. The program will test strategies that could contribute to our understanding of how best to increase the purchase of fruits and vegetables by Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants. Closing date: May 18, 2020
- DOJ-BJA Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Program: The Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Program (JMHCP) supports cross-system collaboration to improve public safety responses and outcomes for individuals with mental illnesses (MI) or co-occurring mental illness and substance abuse (CMISA) who come into contact with the justice system. Closing date: May 18, 2020
- DOT-FTA Accelerating Innovative Mobility (AIM) Challenge Grants: FTA is seeking to fund development and demonstration projects that can accelerate the development, implementation and adoption of innovative technologies, practices, and service models to improve mobility and enhance the rider experience. Closing date: May 18, 2020
- DOJ-BJA Comprehensive Opioid, Stimulant, and Substance Abuse Site-based Program (COSSAP): Through this opportunity, BJA is seeking applications to develop, implement, or expand comprehensive programs in response to illicit opioids, stimulants, or other substances of abuse. Closing date: May 21, 2020
- Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA Entrepreneurship Education Program for Formerly Incarcerated Persons Grant Competitions: The Program will focus on funding innovative projects to support and equip formerly incarcerated individuals with the skills, resources, and network to start their own businesses. Closing date: May 22, 2020
- HHS-HRSA Rural Communities Opioid Response Program-Implementation: This funding opportunity, RCORP-Implementation, will advance RCORP’s overall goal by strengthening and expanding SUD/OUD prevention, treatment, and recovery services to enhance rural residents’ ability to access treatment and move towards recovery. Closing date: May 26, 2020
- USDA-AMS: Local Food Promotion Program The Local Food Promotion Program (LFPP) funds projects that develop, coordinate and expand local and regional food business enterprises that engage as intermediaries in indirect producer to consumer marketing to help increase access to and availability of locally and regionally produced agricultural products. Closing date: May 26, 2020
- DOJ-BJA Coronavirus Emergency Supplemental Funding Program: The Coronavirus Emergency Supplemental Funding (CESF) Program will provide funding to assist eligible states, local units of government, and tribes in preventing, preparing for, and responding to the coronavirus. Closing date: May 29, 2020
- Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) Business Center: Enterprising Women of Color Grant Competition: The Enterprising Women of Color program is a part of MBDA’s focus to promote the growth and global competitiveness of minority business enterprises. The agency program will promote women of color entrepreneurs as engines of economic growth in their communities. Closing date: May 30, 2020
- Delta Regional Authority, Economic Development Assistance Program provides direct investments into community-based and regional projects that address the DRA’s congressionally mandated four funding priorities. Organizations and communities can apply online at funding.dra.gov. The funds are available to DRA’s footprint of 252 counties and parishes in Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee. Closing date: May 31, 2020
- DOJ-BJA Adult Drug Court and Veterans Treatment Court Discretionary Grant Program: This program provides financial and technical assistance to states, state courts, local courts, units of local government, and federally recognized Indian tribal governments to implement and enhance the operations of adult drug courts and veterans treatment courts. Closing date: June 1, 2020
- EPA-Office of Children’s Health Protection: The purpose of the Children’s Healthy Learning Environments Grant Initiative is to provide capacity building to address children’s environmental health in school and childcare settings. The Children’s Healthy Learning Environments Grant Initiative provides funding directly to organizations to support school- and/or childcare center-based capacity building projects that help school communities understand and address local environmental and public health issues that affect children. Closing date: June 1, 2020
- HHS-SAMHSA Treatment, Recovery, and Workforce Support Grant: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, is accepting applications for fiscal year (FY) 2020 Treatment, Recovery, and Workforce Support grants (Short Title: Workforce Support). The purpose of this program is to implement evidence-based programs to support individuals in substance use disorder treatment and recovery to live independently and participate in the workforce. Closing date: June 1, 2020
- USDA-NIFA: Community Food Projects (CFP) Competitive Grants Program: In FY 2020 and FY 2021, NIFA’s CFP intends to solicit applications and fund two types of grants. The types are entitled (1) Community Food Projects (CFP) and (2) Planning Projects (PP). The purpose of the CFP is to support the development of projects with a one-time infusion of federal dollars to make such projects self-sustaining. Closing date: June 3, 2020
- DOT-FTA Helping Obtain Prosperity for Everyone (HOPE) Program FY2020 Notice of Funding: FTA announced the availability of $8.5 million in HOPE Program funds to improve transit services or facilities in areas of persistent poverty through planning, engineering, technical studies, or financial plans. Closing date: June 3, 2020
- Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Innovative Prosecution Solutions for Combatting Violent Crime: The purpose of this program is to provide state, local, and tribal prosecutors with information, resources, and training and technical assistance (TTA) to develop effective strategies and programs to address and prosecute individuals who commit violent crime. Closing date: June 8, 2020
- HHS-SAMHSA State Opioid Response (SOR) Technical Assistance: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is accepting applications for the fiscal year (FY) 2020 State Opioid Response (SOR) Technical Assistance (TA) grant. This grant will be provided to a single entity who will serve as the central coordinating point for ensuring the requirements of this funding opportunity are met. Closing date: June 8, 2020
- DOJ-BJA Innovations in Community-Based Crime Reduction Program: The Innovations in Community-Based Crime Reduction (CBCR) Program supports Department of Justice priorities to reduce serious and violent crime, including gun violence; dismantle gang activity; and strengthen local capacity to combat drug abuse. Closing date: June 11, 2020
- HHS-HRSA Telehealth Network Grant Program: This notice announces the opportunity to apply for funding under the Telehealth Network Grant Program (TNGP). The funding opportunity is aimed towards promoting rural Tele-emergency services with an emphasis on tele-stroke, tele-behavioral health, and Tele-Emergency Medical Services (Tele-EMS). Closing date: June 15, 2020
- HHS-HRSA Rural Telementoring Training Center: This notice announces the opportunity to apply for funding under the Rural Telementoring Training Center (RTTC) Program. The purpose of this program is to train academic medical centers and other centers of excellence (COEs) to create or expand technology-enabled collaborative learning and capacity building models (such as Project ECHO, ECHO-like models, and other emerging models in the field). Closing date: June 16, 2020
- HHS-HRSA Telehealth Focused Rural Health Research Center Program: This notice announces the opportunity to apply for funding under the Telehealth Focused Rural Health Research Center (TF RHRC) Program. This NOFO will fund two Telehealth Focused Rural Health Research Centers, one evaluation-focused and one evidence-focused. Closing date: July 1, 2020
- USDA-RD Distance Learning and Telemedicine Grant Program: The Distance Learning and Telemedicine program helps rural communities use the unique capabilities of telecommunications to connect to each other and to the world, overcoming the effects of remoteness and low population density. For example, this program can link teachers and medical service providers in one area to students and patients in another. Closing date: July 13, 2020
In case you missed it:
- USDA launched the Meals for Kids Interactive Map – to help families find meals for children while schools are closed during the coronavirus pandemic. Please check it out, as of 4/23/2020, 36 states have provided information for the interactive map.
- CDC Rural Health Site. Visit the CDC site for rural-specific information and while you are there listen to the –updates for Rural Health Partners, Stakeholders, and Communities on the 2019 Coronavirus Disease Response– webinar series.