ODP Announcement 105-18 addresses the requirement for Supports Coordinators (SCs) to review and complete the Right to Report Abuse Notification handout annually with all individuals and record the action in an SC Monitoring Tool in the Home and Community Services Information System (HCSIS). Documentation of this activity is not satisfied by strictly answering “Yes” to the question of: “Was the individual (and involved family or other unpaid caregivers, as appropriate) informed about abuse, neglect, and exploitation protections AND was information about how to report provided?” SCs must record detailed information outlining completion of all steps listed below. To meet ODP’s expectation for completing the Right to Report Abuse Notification handout, the following must occur:
- In a location that affords the individual privacy, discuss the meaning of abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- The discussion must take place in a format understood by the individual and using means of communication which the individual prefers
- Advise the individual/surrogate that they have the right:
– To be free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation
– To report abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- Discuss with whom the individual may report (e.g. family members, friends, SCs, Disability Rights of Pennsylvania (DRPA), protective service organizations, law enforcement, etc.)
- Complete the handout by filling in the blank space, indicating contact information and establish a place where the individual may readily access it
- Advise the individual that they can report abuse, neglect, and exploitation to another person, if the first person they notified failed to take action
- After the meeting, document the conversation and the contact information (names and phone numbers) in an SC Monitoring Tool in HCSIS. The record must clearly indicate that the conversation took place in a location that affords privacy.
- As part of the monitoring process, SCs should revisit the discussion with the individual to ensure that they continue to feel safe, remember the handout, and have access to it.
If an individual discloses any allegation, the SC must be prepared to take all necessary actions to ensure that the individual’s immediate health and safety needs are being addressed per ODP policy and according to law.
INQUIRIES REGARDING THIS COMMUNICATION:
Please direct questions regarding this announcement to the appropriate ODP Regional Office.