The Office of Child Development and Early Learning (OCDEL) has announced a 3% increase to all Early Intervention service rates from the previously published 2022/23 fee schedule.
Through the 2022/23 budget, a permanent rate increase of 3 percent for Early Intervention Services was enacted. This rate is in addition to the 3% increase funded through ARPA-IDEA previously published rates for 2021/22 and 2022/23. The Fee Schedule includes the 3% rate increase.
The funding must be used to enhance, expand, or strengthen IDEA and HCBS services. In 2021/22, OCDEL used the combined federal funds (ARPA-IDEA Part C & HCBS FMAP increase) to support the rate increase announced for fiscal year 2021/22 across all rates for Infant/Toddler Early Intervention services.
The Fee Schedule also includes the new Place of Service code for Tele-Intervention for Early Intervention. When providing services to a child and family by Tele-Intervention, the provider must identify the Place of Service for Tele-Intervention on the billing claim in PROMISe. The Place of Service for Tele-Intervention for Early Intervention is 02. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), for the purposes of Medicaid, defines telemedicine as the use of two-way, real time interactive telecommunications technology that includes, at a minimum, audio and video equipment as a mode of delivering healthcare services.
- Infant/Toddler programs should share this announcement with all of their Early Intervention providers.
- Infant/Toddler programs and providers should review the MA Bulletin 99-22-02 for further information.
- Infant/Toddler Early Intervention programs and providers can use the updated 2022/23 fee schedule rates for services delivered on and after July 1, 2022.
- Early Intervention claims filed prior to this announcement with eligible dates of services may be resubmitted as a claims adjustment at the time and expense of the Early Intervention provider. Timely filing requirements must be abided by at all times with no exceptions or exemptions.
- Infant/Toddler Early Intervention Providers shall update any guidance and billing protocols around place of service Tele-Intervention 02. Providers will need to begin to bill using the 02 Tele-Intervention Place of Service code as of July 1, 2022.
- Infant/Toddler Early Intervention Programs will need to have a process in place to review the Place of Service 02 when analyzing provider billing.