The Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) is supplying guidance on COVID-19 vaccination for providers. The information in 2021- PAHAN- 545- 01-06- ADV should be used to supplement other relevant guidance documents and guide the implementation of public health expectations for vaccine providers.
Key messages included in the guidance include:
- There are two mRNA vaccines with 90 – 95 percent efficacy in preventing clinical COVID-19 currently available through an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States.
- The only absolute contraindication to COVID-19 vaccination is a history of an immediate allergic reaction to either COVID-19 vaccine or any of their components.
- Severe adverse reactions are uncommon, but vaccine providers should be prepared for this rare event.
- Vaccine providers should report all adverse events following vaccination to the Vaccine Adverse Event Recording System (VAERS).
- All COVID-19 mitigation measures should continue to be followed after vaccination.