OMHSAS has released the following Telehealth Regulatory Waiver Request template in order to streamline regulatory waiver requests for the continued delivery of telehealth services following the 9-30-21 end date of statewide regulatory waivers based on the COVID-19 Emergency Declaration.
The waiver submission process will adhere to the revised OMHSAS Waiver Bulletin 16-13.
The waiver will cover deliverable considerations for the following services
- Mental Health Intensive Case Management 55 Pa. Code § 5221.33(4)(iii)
- Outpatient Psychiatric Services 55 Pa. Code § 1153.14(1)
- Outpatient Drug and Alcohol Clinic Services 55 Pa. Code § 1223.14(2)
Each waiver request will remain in place for a 1-year period and will require providers also have documented policies in place for clinical appropriateness and the delivery of telehealth in emergencies. RCPA recommends agencies carefully review each section of the waiver request as they complete their submission.
The waiver will outline the following service considerations:
- To ensure continuity of telehealth delivery of services by allowing this agency/facility to use audio-only service delivery for Outpatient Psychiatric Services, Outpatient Drug and Alcohol Clinic Services when the individual served does not have access to video capability or for an urgent medical situation.
- To ensure continuity of telehealth delivery of services by allowing this agency/facility to accept verbal consent/verification for documentation where a signature cannot be obtained when delivering Mental Health Intensive Case Management Services.
- For all Mental Health Intensive Case Management and Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic Waivers: Please submit all waiver requests to the appropriate OMHSAS Regional Field Office with an attached letter of support from the County MH/ID Administrator where your primary licensed location is at.
- For all Outpatient Drug and Alcohol Clinic Services Waivers: Please submit here. No letter of support is required for these waivers.
Providers may utilize the following language in your waiver request letter:
Kristen Houser, Deputy Secretary
Commonwealth Tower, 11th Floor
303 Walnut Street, Harrisburg 17101
Dear Deputy Secretary Houser:
This letter is a request for a waiver of Department of Human Services regulation(s) to continue the delivery of services through telehealth after September 30, 2021, which is the end date of the Governor’s COVID -19 Emergency Disaster Declaration which authorized certain regulatory suspensions. The details for this request for waiver are included in the form below. In addition, a letter of support from the County MH/ID Administrator for this request for waiver is attached. (REMOVE if Outpatient D&A Clinic Waiver)
Your consideration for approval is appreciated. I look forward to your response. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this regulatory waiver request, please contact me at (Phone and e-mail address.)
Members may contact RCPA Policy Director Jim Sharp or their respective Policy Director with questions or feedback.